Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Human Rights Abuse Victim Speaks

Sixteen Years in Chains

An illegal hold order has detained me in a Middle Eastern country for 16 years. I have committed no crime. Indeed, it was the 'host' nation that deprived me of human rights. All I received from 35 appearances in civil courts were several beatings that made me blind for four years and crippled me for life. They are guilty of violating 26 of my human rights as described by the 1948 UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
After I appealed to my native country's Embassy, the employees there notified my host's Interior Ministry. The Ministry issued an interrogation order on me and the Police chased me. Although I eluded them, they made a behind the back decision to make me a citizen. Then, the host Parliament enacted a new law that dual citizens had to pass a Police check to leave the country.
Suffice to say I will leave this place only in a coffin.
I have met scores of victims in similar situations. Most of them are dead.
Many human beings resist slavery and abuse in every way they can. Sadly, most of these efforts end in death. We are no match for the apparatus of the modern state.
Abolish slavery!

No comments: