Utterances of an overcrowded mind
* 10hr PM
* About Me
Buy one of my books... Available above at Amazon. Also available at SmashWords
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
Dummies guide to publishing an ebook on Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Noble and Smashwords
In this blog post I'm going to try and demystify the ebook publishing process. I've been through it and lived to tell the tale. So here goes. Stand by for a fun ride. It'll be worth the trials and tribulations along the way!
* Book (preferably in .doc format) - see detailed formatting guidelines below
* Cover picture (in jpg format, max 1200 pixels high)
* Short book description (400 characters max)
* Proper book description (up to about 2,500 characters)
* About the Author summary
* Book categories (i.e. Young Adult, Fantasy, etc.)
* Decision on selling price of book
Fergus Fedderfeeny's Food Factory by Paul Dorset. $2.99 from Smashwords.com
Farnsworth is worried. Bags of the Food Factory’s vegetables are definitely missing! What will his boss, Fergus Fedderfeeny, say when he finds out? Then there’s the wonderful tasting pies. He doesn’t know how the recipes got changed or if it’s because of the missing vegetables. Armed with a toolbox of hammers & staying well away from The Mangler, Farnsworth is going to solve the mystery.*** READ 25% FOR FREE ***
1. Do not attempt to publish your book without ALL the above ingredients. Delay or disaster could occur
2. Ensure you have full publishing rights to the book you are publishing (I know this sounds odd, but if you have signed a contract with anyone, check and make sure...)
3. Log in to SmashWords.com and create an author account if you don't already have one (trust me, there is method in my seeming madness) - complete your author profile
4. Select 'Publish' on your dashboard and complete the page, copying and inserting the various ingredients from above as requested
5. Press 'publish' and wait while SmashWords processes your book (this could take several hours. SmashWords uses a queue which will update to inform you of its progress)
6. When SmashWords has published your book, go to its page (click on book title) and download it to your PC / iPad / Ebook reader. Look carefully at the results and decide whether anything needs reformatting. If so, reformat and resubmit book to queue. PLEASE NOTE - This step is really important and time spent here will saves hours later)
7. Once book is successfully and satisfactorily published at SmashWords, go to Amazon.com (you will need an account at kdp.amazon.com. You will also need an author account at authorcentral.amazon.com)
8. On your 'bookshelf' page (at kdp.amazon.com), select 'add a new title' and complete the form as requested (similar to SmashWords).
9. Submit the book to Amazon and wait while it converts it. You will then be taken to a page where you can select royalty rate and book price. Finally select publish and then wait
10. It will take 24 hours or longer for your ebook to appear in the Amazon Kindle store. This is why it is advised to publish at SmashWords first (to ensure format looks correct). You cannot view or correct any publishing errors at Amazon until after the book is completely published
11. Once book is published, attach it to your author profile at Amazon
12. While book is publishing at Amazon you can publish it at Barnes & Noble in much the same way. Go to pubit.barnesandnoble.com and set up an author account
13. Select 'add a title' and go through a similar routine as at the other sites. It will take up to 24 hours for the ebook to be available at the Barnes & Noble site
14. Market shamelessly!
Xannu - The Prophecy by Paul Dorset. $0.99 from Smashwords.com
Living out a mundane school life is not the norm for Terry West. After digging up some rune coins near a roman road he has been living in another world inhabited by warlocks, seductresses, priests and prophecy. There Terry is a soldier, Teern Truthbringer, who is tasked with finding the Xannu. Battling un-earthly creatures & witnessing powerful magic are all in a day's work. But some want him dead... *** READ 20% FOR FREE ***
* You may receive emails from Amazon or Barnes & Noble if there are problems with publishing. Do not ignore these emails. The quicker and more fully you respond to them, the quicker your book will publish. Each email will delay the publishing process by at least a day
* If you have previous books published at Amazon that you want linking to your author account you can do that at the authorcentral site
* If there are also physical copies of the books that you are epublishing you will need to email amazon to 'merge their entries'. This can take several days
* Check back regularly for publishing progress (often the books will appear in the bookstore before they are highlighted as 'published'. Try searching for them on Amazon or B&N)
Xannu - The Healing by Paul Dorset. $3.99 from Smashwords.com
Continuing on from The Prophecy, this book follows the journeys of two groups of travelers who are both trying to heal their charges. Back in England, Terry West is distraught after the loss of his best friend. But as Teern Truthbringer the soldier, Terry is busy battling un-earthly creatures & witnessing powerful magic on a daily basis. But is he prepared for the perilous journey he has to take to heal his charge; the Xannu. *** READ 20% FOR FREE ***
Detailed Document / Book Formatting:
* The best instructions are HERE
* Seriously, read the guide linked above...
* In a nutshell, no fonts bigger than 18pt. No multiple lines between paragraphs. Use Word to automatically set up indent and trailing line space on paragraphs. Never use 'tabs'. Don't use lots of different fonts. Don't use odd fonts. Insert all pictures inline. Etc., etc.
* Seriously, read the guide linked above!!
Posted by Paul Dorset at 10:39 AM
Email This BlogThis! Share to Twitter Share to Facebook Share to Google Buzz
Labels: General, Marketing, Writing
Adam iWriteReadRate said...
Hi Paul. Agreed all important ingredients when uploading to an eBook site. Will tweet to our followers as similar is needed for our new site as well. Thanks for the article.
All the best
April 15, 2011 2:24 PM
Post a Comment
Links to this post
Create a Link
Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
* Dummies guide to publishing an ebook on Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Noble and Smashwords
* Amazon Kindle - Reading Books on the iPhone, Android, Blackberry & Droid
* 1. Don't start the story at the beginning (Writing for Success)
* What is epic fantasy and why do I write it?
* Fame and Fortune - I'm all over the Internet
* Should digital books cost 1c a page?
* 16,000 Twitter Followers in 90 Days without steroids (Part One)
* Off to see the man himself - Ray Guyll
* Fergus Fedderfeeny's Food Factory - An Excerpt
* Players, Referee or Manager? - Seattle Sounders v Houston Dynamo
Buy My Books at Amazon
* ▼ 2011 (117)
o ► May (3)
+ 7. Writing in the Third Person (Writing for Succes...
+ PRESS RELEASE: Jai and Jasmine's Jeopardous Journe...
+ 6. Writing in the First Person (Writing for Succes...
o ► April (46)
+ 5. How Long Should a First Novel Be? (Writing for ...
+ A Personal Thank You
+ 4. Creating a Good Plot (Writing for Success)
+ IndieBookBlogger: 5 Star review for Xannu - The Pr...
+ 3. Poems and Short Stories (Writing for Success)
+ The 10 Hour Project Manager - 3 Five Star Reviews ...
+ Now only $0.99!! - Fergus Fedderfeeny's Food Facto...
+ 2. Become a Successful Writer in 2,000 Hours (Writ...
+ Introducing my publicist: Gina Tuttle
+ 1. Don't start the story at the beginning (Writing...
+ It's going to be a busy week
+ The Complete: How to build a brand on Twitter for ...
+ I had a Hippopotamus (By Patrick Barrington)
+ Paul Dorset Video Blog #2
+ I Wish (a poem)
+ Celebrate St. George's day
+ How to build a brand on Twitter for FREE! (Part 5)...
+ How to build a brand on Twitter for FREE! (Part 4)...
+ Paul Dorset Video Blog #1
+ How to build a brand on Twitter for FREE! (Part 3)...
+ How to build a brand on Twitter for FREE! (Part 2)...
+ Review: Buenos Aires Grill - Seattle
+ How to build a brand on Twitter for FREE! (Part 1)...
+ Struggling Indie Author - What's been happening?
+ My First Day at School (a poem)
+ STOP PRESS: All my books now available as Paperbac...
+ Ebook sales top paperbacks for first time
+ Off to meet with a potential publicist
+ Should digital books cost 1c a page?
+ The new Facebook mobile iPhone app sucks
+ Coming to a radio station near you
+ Upcoming Book Promotion Afternoon
+ Did I miss anything?
+ The Bulimic Shopper
+ FREE BOOK OFFER
+ Internet speeds and costs around the world
+ Writing for Reviews
+ The 10 Hour Project Manager - Now in paperback!
+ Friends and Marketing - Indie Author needs help!
+ Writing and deadlines
+ Ebook Promotion
+ Xannu - The Prophecy - revised marketing and descr...
+ Published Again: Guide to Publishing an Ebook on A...
+ Help a starving author weekend!
+ 10 Hr PM - continues to WoW at Amazon!
+ Paul Dorset - Author interview by Sellingbooks.com...
o ▼ March (52)
+ New book '10 Hr PM' - Hits Amazon with a vengeance...
+ Small Business & Social Media Use
+ Fergus Fedderfeeny's Food Factory - An Excerpt
+ Project Management Infographic
+ Press Release: 'The 10 Hour Project Manager' - Str...
+ Xannu - The Prophecy : Reviews are in!
+ Marketing your books - Looking for a publicist
+ Cornfields versus Oilfields
+ Players, Referee or Manager? - Seattle Sounders v ...
+ Buy Xannu in India! Then watch the Seattle Sounder...
+ Working with an Illustrator
+ The 10 Hour Project Manager
+ Meaning of 'The Mangler'
+ Religion or Politics? Epic Fantasy - Xannu continu...
+ Xannu - What are my books about?
+ Amazon Kindle - Reading Books on the iPhone, Andro...
+ Affiliates Marketing Day
+ Extra! Extra! Read all about it!
+ Another day, another dollar
+ The Gwillville Mafia
+ PRESS RELEASE: Fergus Fedderfeeny's Food Factory
+ Take a chance on the next bestselling author - Pau...
+ Dummies guide to publishing an ebook on Amazon Kin...
+ Fergus Fedderfeeny's Food Factory
+ Marketing materials have arrived!
+ Buy a book in England!
+ Xannu - The Prophecy - Excerpt (Terry's School)
+ My Favorite TV Programs
+ Off to see the man himself - Ray Guyll
+ The world of the cloud backup - DropBox et al
+ What is epic fantasy and why do I write it?
+ Facebook Marketing - Use what you can get
+ Twitter Celebrities I follow
+ Unashamed $0.99 Promotion: Xannu - The Prophecy
+ Books I want to write
+ Overqualified? I'm smarter than my boss
+ Gwillville - Coming Soon
+ My mother is on Facebook
+ Dreams or Nightmares?
+ 16,000 Twitter Followers in 90 Days without steroi...
+ Will I remember you when I'm famous?
+ 16,000 Twitter Followers in 90 Days without steroi...
+ Reading books on an iPhone - What is a digital boo...
+ Oil versus Gas prices
+ Fame and Fortune - I'm all over the Internet
+ The New Baby (a poem)
+ Books I'm Reading
+ SmashWords will give you 20% for FREE!
+ Will the iPad 2 help me as an author?
+ Writing more Xannu
+ My first Press Release
+ Authors and Technology
o ► February (16)
Get a Kindle
Twitter Updates (over 53,000 followers and counting)
Add This Blog to the JacketFlap Blog Reader
Visit Book Blogs
Become an Author fan on Facebook
Promote your Page too As Featured On EzineArticles
Management Consultant & Life Skills Development Coach. About to be famous author. Owner of very dry & wicked sense of humor. World traveler, husband, father and oftentimes troublemaker...
View my complete profile
Paul Dorset's Feed
Copyright © John Cox 2011. Simple template. Template images by duncan1890. Powered by Blogger.