Sunday, December 13, 2009

UDHR Has Been at the Center of My Life Since 1992

1948 UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights
The UDHR serves as a moral compass for me. Whenever I receive news, my first reaction is to evaluate it in terms of human rights. How does it effect me, my friends and my community? My method cuts through a lot of garbage thinking, believe me.
Who cares what official Washington thinks, or any other place for that matter? How do ordinary people react? That's the real story.
Every nation member had to embed the UDHR into her body of law. Dictators such as Bush and Obama dismiss the UDHR, but it remains some day to put them on trial. It's a shame the law schools ignore that. If we can't charge a scoundrel with crimes against humanity and murder, we should ignore him.

No comments: