Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Finding Life in an Extended Family

With the current economic situation, many younger adults have found refuge in parental homes. It recalls an earlier time when extended families lived under one roof. This is not easy, but it can be enriching.
When my family of four came to America, my brother-in-law threw us out and my mother gave us shelter. She and my wife never got along. Eventually, my wife took our sons back to the old country.
After my mother had a stroke, I moved back to take care of her. After several years she needed a nursing home. We traded the house to ensure lifetime care for her.
I retired to Israel to be with my son and to write books.
Thanks to the decline of the dollar the value of my Israeli pension has risen from $500 to $1000 per month.
The State Department is dragging its feet on my Social Security. They are angry with anyone who writes about stolen nuclear secrets.
My mom did me a good deed and I reciprocated. I think it worked out well for both of us.

No comments: